Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Will Be My Year

Happy New Year! I think I said this last year but I don't really like to make New Year's resolutions. It makes it feel like I'm destined to fail. No one seems to follow through with them so in my mind, it's ok not to either. I really want to take this year by the horns and not wait for life to happen to me anymore. So, I would like to make some big and small goals for this year instead. I'm hoping that posting them here will hold me more accountable so here we go!

1. Get out into the world: I feel like all my friends are in relationships and I don't have anyone to hang out with. Instead of feeling sorry for myself like I did last year (well, yesterday), my goal is to get myself out there. The tangible things I can do are to join a group, contact the friends I have to do things instead of waiting for them, get on my bike or walk around my neighborhood, etc. My small goal under this is to join a club or start something like a class to get out and meet new people.

2. Be healthy: I don't want to make a goal to say "Lose weight" because that feels like a set up for failure. At the end of 2013, I've started working out with a trainer 2 times a week. Now, I want to try to go to the gym more and eat healthy more often. My small goal for the beginning of the year will be to research healthy foods and introduce them into my diet one at a time. I can't do it all right away or lose 20 lbs overnight so I'm going to start small and keep working my way up!

3. Go on a Trip: My trip to Europe was so awesome last year. I know I won't be able to do anything on that scale this year but I want to take at least one "just for fun" trip. Maybe I'll go to CO to visit friends or get a couple people together and go somewhere together. It's always great to have something to look forward to!

4. Get Rid of (some) Debt:  This one is not going to be easy but I'm going to try. I'm hoping to be smarter with money in 2014. I know that my student loans won't be going away anytime soon but I can get rid of my credit card debt with some work. I think my smaller goal will be to do the card with the highest interest first and work my way through them. I'll keep you up to date on this progress (if you're interested) to hopefully keep myself on track. I would like to buy a new car since mine is horrible in the snow so I know that paying off my debt will help me to do that. I won't be buying a car without getting that debt down though. End goal!

5. Do more with my blog: I mentioned this in my recap/blog birthday post yesterday but I feel like I've lost sight of this blog. I don't really post that many outfits anymore or do all that I want to do. I think I might start a whole new blog instead. I want to start an online store possibly or do more with the Etsy shop I do have. So many ideas rolling in my mind. What do you think? Change this blog or start over?


I would love to hear some of your goals and how you are going to stay on top of them and get them done. I could use some motivation!

13 comments:

  1. Loved reading your goals, especially since a lot of them are similar to mine. Most of my close friends live out of town/state, so I've been contemplating joining a running Meetup group or taking a local class to meet some new faces. I'm always scared to take the plunge but I know it would be good for me! Also, I'm trying to incorporate more vacations into my life in 2014. We only took ONE trip last year and I need more!! Now, the debt. I'm not sure if you've ever considered consolidating but we did in 2012 and it changed our lives for the better. Before, we were swimming under debt and now it's down to a manageable (somewhat) amount and we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Anyway, feel free to email me about specifics on our numbers and what company we're using. I'm sure how high our debt/student loans are would probably make you feel better :) Consolidation is definitely worth looking into! And finally, the blog. You sound like me when I quit Feathers & Freckles - I lost sight of it and it no longer felt like "me". I felt like I was only posting just to post, or to keep others happy and traffic high, which is lame. That's why I ultimately decided to start a fresh new blog that's all about what I love and what makes me happy right now and where I am in my life. I definitely think starting new will bring some fresh motivation and interest to blogging for you, because it did for me. Be prepared for a steep decline in readership and numbers (just bein' real, I saw it drastically drop for me) but at the end of the day, I am enjoying myself more and highly recommend starting new if that's what you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and of course, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Cheers to a bright 2014

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound like great goals! I'm totally with you on the get rid of debt thing - but it is definitely a challenge! And re: trips - can we say girls weekend? I want to go on one somewhere - we should get a bunch of bloggy gals together and do one! And finally I get you on the blog re-org ideas too, I am also kind of thinking of overhauling mine a bit. I still want outfits/clothes to be part of it, but there is so much more I want to share too. I don't know where to start, but I'm ready for a change as well. Anytime you want to get together and bounce ideas around, let me know, I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! These are all great goals, Erin! I will be working on many of the same this year, as well. I'd love to take a trip, even just a quick day trip or something overnight, with you! And I would definitely get out and workout with you. Walks, runs, bike rides, a fun class...anything! And I am excited to see what you decide to do with your blog. I will always read and follow along, whatever you decide to do! xoxoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Megan. I will definitely send you an email about the debt consolidation; I don't really know anything about it. Maybe I should plan a trip to the west coast :) You could always come to Minneapolis, I'm sure there are lots of us here that would love to have you. I will also email you about the blog stuff. I have so many ideas swimming around, it would be nice to have someone to bounce them off of! You rock. Here's to an awesome 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love a girls weekend! We should totally throw out some dates and get something in motion. Maybe a short road trip somewhere fun with thrift stops along the way? I say, it's your blog and you should write about what you want! Let's plan to get together soon. I'll send you an email! Thanks for always commenting on my blog, you're the best :) Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I would love to plan a short trip with you, it would be so fun! Let's plan on something in the spring so impending weather won't be a factor. I would love to work out with you too! I'll send you an email. Maybe we can join a community ed class or something together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goals for 2014, Erin.

    As for starting over or revamping, I vote revamp. Why not redesign? You have your established readers here, so why not just use the space you've got and make it into what you want. Reuse! :)

    By the way, thanks so much for the Thriftmas present. The photos in that book are gorgeous. I definitely have the travel bug after flipping through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great goals! #1 is esp hard, and last night I realized
    oh shit, I feel bad for my single friends. My hubs is now in Austin for work
    for a few months until I finish my masters and can move over there, and instead
    of going home and moping, I thought what the heck, why not just pop over
    uninvited to my best friend’s house? It was only a 5 minute bike ride away and
    we were both so glad I did. Joining a group should be awesome as well! I also
    think I’ll join one of some sort to make more friends when I move. Also, #2: I
    just saw this article through Melinda DiOrio’s Twitter that I really enjoyed: http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12502-the-9-foods-you-should-never-eat.html

    just for fun trips are great, and don’t downplay even a day trip around your
    state too : ). And as for the blog, I always rec keeping this one, and changing
    content however you please because it’s so much easier for readers to find and
    go back to, although I know some bloggers have done the totally opposite and
    had success w/ it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your goals! And I feel the same way about saying "lose weight" as a goal because in reality I am trying to make this a lifestyle that I will keep for the rest of my life! Plus, taking little wins helps along the way vs. getting frustrated with the scale! Also I was SUPER JEALOUS of your trip to Europe last year. It looked amazing! My goal is to get my boyfriend a passport this year and get him out of his comfort zone :) Not sure where yet, but I am hoping something in late summer/fall.


    And debt... ugh! UGH! Student loans are such a headache (I only know this from my boyfriend). I luckily do not have student loans but I do have a little bit of debt I need to pay off. Why is it so easy to swipe a credit card? Anyway, I have HUGE financial goals for this year, including putting more in savings and more into my 401K. I would love to see a post or update on your debt! I think it is such a scary topic to talk about, especially on a blog, but it is so helpful and I think makes people feel better to know they are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be healthy and so more with my blog are two goals that we have in common. I am sure you will accomplish all of them and 2014 is gonna be your year. Wish you the all the best gorgeous and luck with your resolutions!

    http://www.mursway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep the same blog, just because you've built up your readership with this particular branding. I would love to take a road trip this year (maybe even to Colorado!). Something about long roads and exploring tiny towns and collecting souvenirs and pictures really appeals to me. Good luck on your loans and your fitness goals in the new year!

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete